Sunday, July 24, 2005

3 new links on the loss of pre-born babies

Shortly after I started this blog a couple of months ago, I was surfing the Net, in search of materials I could put here. I wanted to get hold of inspiring photos, too -- specifically photos of babies (infants, toddlers as well as pre-born babies, to provide a graphic guide of fetal development during pregnancy).

Hence, I word-searched "fetus."

Was I shocked. What I got were mostly images of aborted fetuses, and they weren't cartoons or in black and white. If they had been confined inside specific sites, I would have been forewarned of the sites' contents and thus could have been given the choice whether or not to lay eyes on the photos. Some of the images I viewed, however, were simply on google's (or was it yahoo's?) fetus-results-page, flashed before my eyes.

That's not the kind of material I intend to put on this blog
. I am aware, however, that women undergo abortions. I am aware, too, that a woman who's had an abortion deserves the same compassion and respect accorded any other human being, regardless of the circumstances surrounding what she went through.

What I'm not aware of, though, is the deep damage that the loss of an unborn baby causes on the mother -- emotional, physical and spiritual damage. A spontaneous abortion (more commonly referred to as "miscarriage") may cause much anguish on the baby's mother as well as father; a procured abortion, despite its being a deliberate choice in the case of many women, likewise carries with it pain and regret that may go unheard or unprocessed.

Thus, I'm posting three new links that I've scanned -- links to sites that may shed more light on post abortion matters, in the context of healing and recovery.

Silent No More is the website of the Silent No More Awareness Campaign, founded by two women -- Georgette Forney and Janet Morana -- who use their work in abortion recovery and personal abortion experience to let the public hear from the many women who regret their abortion. Through the campaign, they work to inform the public of the devastation that abortion brings to women, men and their families, and to reach out to women and let them know that help is available.

The National Office of Post-Abortion Reconciliation and Healing is another resource on abortion's aftermath, created by a woman whose friend underwent the procedure years ago and who stated: "I carried her pain in my heart and always I felt helpless to help her... She always said to me, 'I can live with the adoption. I can't live with the abortion.' She taught me everything I [know] about abortion's aftermath." The site has several sections, which includes perspectives of men as well as siblings and even grandparents.

Project Rachel: Hope After Abortion provides more information on post-abortion trauma and the possible ways of dealing with it. There are helpful features on friendship, medical perspectives on trauma, sensitive accounts of women themselves, and even a Spanish version of the site's contents.

Please check out the links. Visiting any of the new sites may just give you some information you need to understand the matter more deeply or to even help restore hope in a friend struggling with the loss of a child.



posted by sunnyday at 4:57 PM

0 Comments:


Post a Comment

< < Home