Friday, December 09, 2005

More than mere partnership

Do you ever feel like there's so much good news around that you may just burst with elation? I do, but now is not one of those times! A lot of news makes it to my inbox, but lately I've noticed from the titles alone that good news is hard to come by these days -- especially if one is not looking really hard.

So, when I chanced upon this title --

"Research continues to uphold the value of marriage"

my eyes lit up and excitedly skimmed the article. I'll admit that I've yet to read it in full, but I'm pretty confident that it's got contents worth knowing about and which would definitely reinforce the reality that marriage -- no matter how many couples fail at it, choose not to recognize it or insist on redefining it -- is there for a reason and it is worth defending. We just have to want to understand it more. This caught my eye:

Marriage is the one family relationship that we can freely choose. But it takes wisdom to make a right choice, and skill to make a successful marriage."

This, too:

“Data from the left and the right show that healthy mother-and-father families are far less likely to be in poverty than single-parent families. The strong bonds of an intact family are like an inoculation against the disease of poverty. Why wouldn’t we do our best to see every child get that protection?”

The funding proposed in the Healthy Marriage Initiative will go toward marriage and relationship education, through:

  1. training programs for married couples;
  2. divorce-reduction programs;
  3. marriage-mentoring programs;


posted by sunnyday at 4:53 PM

0 Comments:


Post a Comment

< < Home