Monday, August 01, 2005

Letter to new parents of a child with Down Syndrome




I stumbled upon something I found quite moving while checking out Down Syndrome for New Parents, which was listed among the resources at BeNotAfraid.net. It was a letter written in response to a guy who wrote: "My sister is SO depressed because the baby is diagnosed with Down Syndrome. Pls. email anything positive you have experienced so my sister will not be so sad."

Here's part of the response:

In the book "Uncommon Fathers," one of the fathers talks about his daughter who has Down Syndrome. After they were told, they were so upset that they decided that they would not bring their new baby home but rather they would have her institutionalized. When they arrived home without the baby, they explained to their son about the problems of a Down Syndrome baby and why his new sister would not be coming home. After a short while their son asked, "Dad, does this mean that if something happens to me and I'm not so smart anymore, that you will send me away?" Of course, they immediately went and brought his sister home. The point of this story is that we love our children no matter what. Bad things can happen to healthy children with the right number of chromosomes but we still love them.

Read the entire letter.




posted by sunnyday at 7:43 PM

5 Comments:
Blogger "D" sWeEpeR said...

Hi Ms. Sunny,

Greetings!!!

I dont have any idea about Down Syndrome. what are the cause? If a child has a down syndrome he/she look like mongoloid?

Sorry i dont have any idea.

5:04 PM  
Blogger mS eLoVe said...

Sunny,

As I promised, I will send you an article about them through other people experience and I will try to get more information and give it to you and also, here is the site where I do volunteer "Down Syndrome Foundation" --- thats in City of Burnaby. You may check that site and you'll learn a lot things there too. Send my hug to your sister. :)

Ingat ha! stay safe all the time.

ms elove

12:28 PM  
Blogger mS eLoVe said...

http://dsrf.org/

12:28 PM  
Blogger sunnyday said...

Hi d sweeper!

What causes Down syndrome is still unknown despite decades of research. But I do know a thing or two about people with this disorder: they're quite affectionate, and they're flat-footed -- which means their feet hurt more easily than regular persons. Thus, they may need special footwear if they're going to engage in exercise or if they're set to do a lot of mall-roaming. =)

There's a new post that provides more info on the subject. Maybe you've seen it by now. Check it out! =)

Thanks for passing by, sweep! Daan ka ulit.

Sunny

3:18 PM  
Blogger sunnyday said...

Hello elove!

I'll wait for the article and whatever else you're going to send. Thanks for the link, though I've yet to check it out. I tried a while ago but I couldn't connect. Subukan ko ulit later.

I'm sure you get much fulfillment from the work you do at that foundation.

Enjoy the weekend!

Sunny

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

< < Home