Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Twilight time




The Alzheimer's Prayer

Please grant my visitors
Tolerance of my confusion
Forgiveness for my irrationality
And the strength
To walk me into the mist of memory
My world has become.

Please help them take my hand
And stay awhile,
Even though I seem unaware
Of their presence.

Help them to know their strength
And loving care will drift slowly
Into the days to come
Just when I need it most.

Let them to know when I don't recognize them,
That I will, I will....
Keep their hearts free of sorrow for me
For my sorrow, when it comes
Only lasts a moment, then it's gone.

And finally, Lord,
Please let them know
How very much ther visits mean
How even through this relentless
Mystery, I can still feel their love.

Author- Unknown

This provides a peek into what life may be like for somebody with Alzheimer's; hopefully, it will result in greater sensitivity toward people whom we normally dismiss (usually out of ignorance) as simply "ulyanin" (forgetful due to old age), as well as toward their caregivers.

I got the preceding material from Dutchy's blog, which contains a lot of practical information on assisting the elderly with Alzheimer's, Dementia, Parkinson's, and other disabilities. Whether or not you're caring for someone or are related to someone with those conditions, it pays to be equipped. You'll never know whom you'll be able to help later on with this kind of know-how. Here are some useful tips, this time on dealing with one with dementia:


10 Tips for Communicating With a Person Who Has Dementia

We aren’t born knowing how to communicate with a person with dementia—but we can learn. Improving your communication skills will help make care giving less stressful and will likely improve the quality of your relationship with your loved one. Good communication skills will also enhance your ability to handle the difficult behavior you may encounter as you care for a person with a dementing illness.

1. Set a positive mood for interaction. Your attitude and body language communicate your feelings and thoughts stronger than your words. Set a positive mood by speaking to your loved one in a pleasant and respectful manner. Use facial expressions, tone of voice and physical touch to help convey your message and show your feelings of affection.

2. Get the person’s attention. Limit distractions and noise—turn off the radio or TV, close the curtains or shut the door, or move to quieter surroundings. Before speaking, make sure you have her attention; address her by name, identify yourself by name and relation, and use nonverbal cues and touch to help keep her focused. If she is seated, get down to her level and maintain eye contact.

3. State your message clearly. Use simple words and sentences. Speak slowly, distinctly and in a reassuring tone. Refrain from raising your voice higher or louder; instead, pitch your voice lower. If she doesn’t understand the first time, use the same wording to repeat your message or question. If she still doesn’t understand, wait a few minutes and rephrase the question. Use the names of people and places instead of pronouns or abbreviations.

Read more at Ask Dutchy



posted by sunnyday at 8:04 PM

2 Comments:
Blogger DearestWarrior said...

Song of Alzheimer’s

My mother was so full of life
and living was a joy.

It seemed as she grew older
she just surprised me more.

I saw her as my mother;
I found her as my friend
but that was just before
the beginning of the end.

I took care of my mother;
I tried the best I could.

We had some really good times,
but some that weren't so good.

It seems all I can think of--
It haunts me day and night;
Re-living all the bad times
and what I didn't do right.

I look into the mirror;
I see my mother's face.

I reach out for something;
I see I have her hands.

I think I have her hair
now that it's turning gray.

I wonder if I'll be like her
in every way?

It's in most every family,
everywhere I go;
Someone's losing someone
that they love so.

These should be the best times,
not the very worst.

These are the last times;
Why do they have to hurt?

Won't somebody please
do something about Alzheimer's Disease?

Won't somebody please
do something about Alzheimer's Disease?

--November 1996
Copyright © 1996-2004 Brenda S. Parris

5:14 PM  
Blogger AsianSmiles said...

Hmmm.....

lemme read again :) this article deserves more than just a read - it's too relevant...

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

< < Home