Saturday, August 20, 2005

He's sharing his secrets

MARRIAGE SECRETS

Do you mind if I get a little personal today?

Last week Anita and I celebrated our 23rd wedding anniversary. That
means I have now officially been married longer than I was not. I'm not
exactly sure what that means, but it must mean something. Mustn't it?

Anita and I were talking about it the other day (which, it turns out,
is what old, long-time married people do -- a lot), and we decided that
we've learned a thing or two through the years. Don't get me wrong -- we
don't have all the answers. Not by a long shot. But there are at least 13
things we've learned about marriage -- and who said 13 is an unlucky
number?

1. Marriage is NOT a 50-50 proposition. It just doesn't work that
way. I mean, exactly where would my 50 end and Anita's 50 begin? The
best
marriages are those where both partners give 100 percent to the
relationship, and neither one worries about who did what for whom last.

2. It can get better -- no matter what "it" is -- as long as husband and wife
continue to work on nurturing their love. Just as a plant needs
steady
doses of water and sunlight to flourish, a marriage requires regular

maintenance with plenty of tenderness, compassion, interest and
attentiveness (and it doesn't hurt to occasionally spread a little fertilizer
here and there, either).


------------------------------------------------------------

The #3 secret is pretty insightful:

The four most important words in a marriage are "I'll do the dishes."

But I won't tell you the rest! You can easily read them at Heartwarmers.com (to which the
writer, Joseph Walker, is a regular and well-loved contributor) by clicking here.


posted by sunnyday at 2:01 PM

0 Comments:


Post a Comment

< < Home