Friday, August 26, 2005

'Labor relations' at home

Strength of character and an understanding of the value of life have a lot to do with upbringing. Many of us know that seemingly trivial things like developing the habit of making their own beds or doing their share in kitchen work instills invaluable lessons in kids as they grow up. I admit the only time I did household chores with a smile was when our 5th grade H.E. teacher gave us the homework "5 things I did to help at home" every Friday for a several months, and I was excited about getting my mother's signature by Sunday night as proof of my hard work.

Dr. Ray Guarendi, a father of 10, clinical psychologist, author, public speaker and radio host, shares the following:


Dear Dr. Ray,
How important do you think it is for children to help around the house? And how can I get my kids to do more? Sometimes it's easier on my nerves if I just do the chores myself.
Working mother

Chores are loaded with lessons about life. They show, not merely tell, a youngster that living in this home is everyone's privilege, so it's everyone's responsibility. Chores foster a sense of shared ownership and, as such, a respect for property, one's own and another's.

Household duties are forerunners of lessons about the work world. They help a child understand that work is inseparable from life, not just for grown-ups but, to a lesser degree, for those growing up.

The most durable lessons are taught young. Introduce kids to chores early, before they become allergic to work and sweat. Little ones love to help out, especially if they think chores are something reserved only for big people.

Take full advantage of a toddler's drive to imitate. Work in the same room together. Give him his own rag to help wipe the table, or dust, or dry his drinking cup. Let him hold onto the vacuum while you sweep. Odds are good he'll mess more than he cleans, but you're nurturing his attitude: I have to help, too.

Read the rest here



posted by sunnyday at 10:25 PM

4 Comments:
Blogger AsianSmiles said...

This is a nice article Sunny. I grew up without the need to do some housechores but I tried doing some of it even when Mader objected with phrases like, "i am not sending you to school to wash clothes or wash dishes".

I wanted to learn the skill. And most of all, I yearned for the bonding with the person that I admire most.

When I have children of my own, I hope I could remember this post of yours everyday.

Thanks a lot!

9:29 AM  
Blogger sunnyday said...

Hmm..and remember to make your future kids remove the shells out of their own shrimps by themselves!

You know, I could say a mouthful (type a keyboardful?) about the whole matter of doing chores, hiring household help, the pros and cons of getting nannies etc. but a separate post would probably be a better idea. =)

Hey, did I ever tell you that feeling horribly insecure about not knowing much about house chores prompted me to work part-time as fastfood crew?

11:43 AM  
Blogger AsianSmiles said...

Ha?

Where? When? How long?

12:37 PM  
Blogger AsianSmiles said...

Will look forward to the follow up post on this topic. I think it will help a lot of your readers - this "let-the-made-do-it" attitude is very rampant nowadays. I remember seeing a kid sa mall who asked his lola to tie her laces because her yaya is not around. (*sigh*)

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

< < Home